What a day! Wait, let me rephrase that. What a past 24 hours! (you know, since we still have a good part of our day left!)
Although I am still lacking full-use of a limb, I haven’t let it stop me too much. I surprised myself yesterday and took my spinning class one-handed. Yes, you read that right. One-handed. Hmmmm . . . I wonder if there’s a word for that. A unicycle is a one-wheeled bicycle. Unicyclist is already taken . . . Maybe monocyclist? The jury is out on that one, but get at me if you know. Anyway, I was quite proud of myself for that one. I knew all that dance training would pay off—balancing on a bike.
Last night was also pretty eventful. I mean, how could it not be when it’s girls night? Just for the record, my friends and I are crazy. (Or as they say, “cray cray.”) But it’s all good kinds of crazy. Crazy fun, if you know what I mean. Delicious food, Sarah’s bomb bartending skills, epic jokes, AND mouthwatering dessert made by yours truly.
Holy Chocolate Batman!
This is the kind of cake you need to have on hand on a bad day. It’s that good. Sorrow-curing good. Break-up therapy good. Better than sex good. In fact, that’s what I am going to call my version of this cake.
I found this recipe on averie cooks, but it was simply labeled “Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache.” Now, after tasting this scrumptious morsel from chocolate heaven, I have decided that this name just won’t do. It doesn’t do it justice. However, since I did make some minor adjustments, I am now dubbing this my “Better than Sex Chocolate Cake.” Oh, and did I mention that this is a no-mixer required recipe? Super easy to make AND clean up. So the faster you can dig in! Prepare yourselves you chocoholics out there!
Better than Sex Chocolate Cake
- 1 large egg
- 1 C. sugar
- 6 oz. plain greek yogurt (looky there, just the amount in a single serving Choboni cup!)
- ¼ C. vegetable or canola oil (I used veggie, since that was what I had on hand)
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ C. coffee—I just dissolved instant coffee in a ½ C. hot water
- ¼ C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ C. dark cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s special dark)
- 1 C. AP flour (King Arthur is the best!)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 9 oz. (1 ½ C.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ C. heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9×9 (or 8×8) pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg, sugar, yogurt, oil, and vanilla. Now, whisk your little heart out until the batter is nice and smooth.
- Add coffee and both cocoa powders. Whisk again!
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk, whisk, whiskiddy, whisk.
- Pour the batter into your prepared ban.
- Bake for about 25-27 min. The top should be set, and the batter shouldn’t really jiggle as you pull it out of the oven.
- Let cake cool for at least 30 minutes. (Before ganaching it that is).
- Heat chocolate in a large-ish microwave-safe bowl for about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Microwave cream for about 70 seconds—just until the cream is about to bubble.
- Pour cream over chocolate. Let stand for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then, you guessed it, whisk until smooth!
- Pour ganache over cake.
- Now this is the hardest part: wait at least 30 minutes for ganache to set before slicing and eating. (I put mine in the fridge for a while, too).
Now, doesn’t that sound fantastic?
I do have a confession to make, though: I had to make two of these babies . . .
. . . because I messed up on my first one. I misread the ingredients and only put ¼ C. of cocoa powder in the batter my first time around! I would have just said a little prayer and hoped for the best if I was just feeding my family, BUT since this was for a party, I had to make sure it was Gooooood.
Funny thing is, is that I ran out of regular cocoa powder during my second go-around. Hence, the dark chocolate cocoa. I think it turned out for the best though. Don’t you think?
It’s like a fudgy little cake bite! Or piece of cake fudge . . . look at that moist crumb. And shiny, gooey ganache!
Yes, this is a cake that will instantly make you feel better. Or it will put you into a chocolate coma . . .
I, however, did not need the magical qualities from this delicacy today. Today was a good one. Maybe I should thank all of you? For the good vibes and crossed fingers that is, because I got an email about coming in for a THIRD INTERVIEW for elitefts! So may I ask for one more round of good vibes? Preferably around 10:30AM this Tuesday morning? Pretty please?
Another highlight of the last 24 hours is that I am finally back in the good graces of this little one.
She was not a happy camper when I picked her up from the groomers. She does not do well with change, or water, or with people hovering near her butt . . . oh, and let me tell you, this little pup can hold a grudge.
I was given the silent treatment for a good 24 hours. This was the look she gave me when I called her to come snuggle.
If you don’t get the horsebeast reference, check this link out.
Oh, and for those of you who are wondering: I have still been hitting the gym other than for spin class. However, I can’t say my workouts have been all that stellar. The elliptical machine is my best friend right now, and I did run today! I just haven’t mapped out my mileage yet.
Well, I am off to grab some dinner with Madre and computer shop. I think I have figured out how to afford a Mac!
Questions of the day?
- Do you have an outstanding chocolate cake recipe?
- What are your comfort foods?