So, I don’t know about you, but I was really dragging this morning. I mean, I had a good night’s sleep (although I should try to get to bed even earlier), a good, hearty breakfast, and a pretty non-stressful morning. Still, I felt like I was in a dense haze of lethargy! I couldn’t figure it out until I was driving to the gym: I had forgotten to take my BCAAs!
What are BCAAs you ask? Here’s a little video from bodybuilding.com that gives a quick overview:
I never have been a huge believer in supplements and what not, but I tell you what, I don’t think it is just a fluke. Since I have started taking BCAA powder each day, I feel more energetic and my workouts feel stronger! Cross my heart and hope to die! Lori has made a believer out of this girl!
I definitely could have used an extra boost of power today too, because Lori and I completed a KILLER workout this afternoon. The victims today were our quads and calves!
Check it out:
Quads Workout (Note: we tried to move up in weight for each set!):
- Leg Press (4 Sets with Reps of 50, 45, 40, 35) Yes, that does say 50 . . . that is why I said it was KILLER!
Or as Bartok would say:
Please tell me you’ve seen Anastasia?!! Great movie! Great Music! And I love little Bartok My favorite scene is his kung fu kick sequence!
Back to the rest of the workout . . .
- Barbell Lunge (4 Sets with Reps of 15, 12, 10, 10 – remember, BOTH LEGS= 1 rep!)
- Smith Machine Squats (4 Sets of 15 Reps)
- Leg Extensions (4 Sets with Reps of 30, 25, 20, 15)
Calf Workout (Again, we moved up in weight with each set):
- Standing Calf Raises (3 Sets with Reps of 25, 15, 10)
- Seated Calf Raise- We used the Leg Press (3 Sets with Reps of 25, 15, 10)
I’m not gonna lie . . . my muscles were shaking during most of these exercises, and I was feeling the BURN!!!!!!!
Random aside: Whenever I say that it always reminds me of a scene in She’s the Man. The one where she gets hit in the crotch with a soccer ball while posing as her brother:
“Oh! For the love of God! It BURRRRRNNNNNSSSS!”
Here’s the trailer for the movie. Unfortunately, they just barely cut off the last line, but it is so funny. I think I probably quote this movie daily . . . but when am I not quoting movies, eh?
Well, I am off to hopefully be productive . . . we’ll see how that goes!
Questions for the day:
- Are you a believer in supplements? If so, which have you found to be the most helpful?
- What movie do you find yourself quoting the most?